With the new year in full flow, it’s a great time to get your house in order. After the onslaught of new things for Christmas, why not have a good old sort out of the kids toys, passing on and throwing out any that are no longer used.
Many retailers know that we enjoy that “back to normal” feeling when the Christmas decorations are packed away, and all that naughty food is finally all gone. With a fridge full of salad, and a fresh new gym membership in hand, why not concentrate not just on the way you look, but the way your home looks as well? We’ve compiled a our top 5 tips for making the most of your January clean up.
- Identify your problem areas – with the house back in order after Christmas, it’s a good time to have a look around at what’s looking a bit messy, or could do with replacing. Focus your energy on one room or area at a time and get it right before you move onto the next. There is no rush – January is the ideal month to spend time indoors.
- Set a realistic goal – As it’s the beginning of the new year you are probably feeling super motivated right now, but don’t bite off more than you can chew! Emptying out every single drawer and cupboard in one go is probably not the best idea. Attack one area at a time and don’t move on to the next one until that is completely sorted and unwanted items are recycled or thrown away.
- Be brutal – if you have kept something hidden away for a few months and never used, or missed it, chances are you don’t actually need it! Why not just get rid and clear space! This goes for clothes, shoes, toys, cosmetics – in fact anything that is cluttering up your space! Obviously we all have things we want to keep forever, but keep them to a minimum and store then well out of your every day reach.
- Make a list – don’t just go charging in like a bull in a china shop, make a list of all the areas you want to tackle and what you what the outcome to be i.e. clear our old shoes and sports kits to make room for new ones! Imagine the pleasure you will have as you tick them off your list one by one.
- Be prepared – finally, make sure you are ready to get stuck in! Have as many rubbish bags and cleaning products as you think you will need, and then some! Also, don’t forget that if you are reorganising you may need to splash out on some additional storage boxes or units. January is a great time to find good deals and reductions in the shops so fill your boots, so to speak!
Spend some time getting your house de-cluttered and imagine how good it will feel when it looks all tidy and sparse again! Once you have it up to scratch, you could consider having one of our awesome cleaning ladies come and keep it clean for you. Call us on 01277 812220 to find out all about our regular cleaning services.